Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Birthday Week



It’s that time of year again.  There will be food, presents, and singing.  Someone will snap photos and when it is all over, everyone will wish me well for the next year.  It happens every year, but it wasn’t until five years ago I learned how to make it last a whole week instead of just one day.  My birthday is on Thursday, but my birthday week in officially on.
9ecd41faa52cc6837977c5241bed2852.jpg

Birthday week is a fun way to get spoiled seven days instead of just one.  It doesn’t mean you get a present everyday.  (Although I suppose it could if you wanted.)  For me, birthday week is like a get out of jail free card in my house.  Not literally.  You can’t call birthday week and get out of jail.  It’s more of a get other people (like my husband) to do things I don’t want to do, am to lazy to do, or just don’t feel like doing.  For example, if my phone is in the kitchen and I hear a ting signaling a text message, but am too lazy to walk to the kitchen to get my phone, I can call birthday week and my husband will retrieve my phone for me.  If my kids has a poopy diaper and I don’t want to change it, I call birthday week and my husband has to take care of it.  If I want an hour to myself to read or watch a movie, I can call birthday week and my husband will be on kid duty while I take some time off.  Now before you all say what a great husband I have and how he is so good to me and spoils me, remember he does this for me during my birthday week because I do it for him when it is his birthday week.
l_shutterstock_birthday_1200x675.jpg

Birthday week for my kids is different.  It is more likely to consist of different activities during the week of their birthday like going to Chuck E Cheese one day for a few hours so they can play games or getting a special treat like an ice cream.  It is not a get out of jail free card for the kids!  I will not pick up their toys because it is their birthday week.  They will not be allowed to throw things in the house or not eat lunch because it is their birthday week.  I will just do something special with them all week and on their birthday will we have cake, ice cream, and a present.  
 
-1x-1.jpg

Make birthday week part of your birthday celebration and you too can have seven full days to be spoiled instead of just one.  You can make your own rules so that it has restrictions like I’m not cleaning out the litter box or I won’t do the dishes.  You can decide if you want to do small gifts everyday like a candy bar or sweet tea.  It can just be something special a couple of times during the week like a bouquet of flowers or a box of Sees Candy.  It can be as expensive or cheap as you want, but remember if you want a birthday week you also have to honor birthday week when it is someone else’s.  
sees_truffles.jpg

As an adult I find birthday week is a nice way to experience the joy of my birthday since so often, if I want something I just buy it myself so it is hard to figure out what I want as a birthday present.  This way I can have my husband (and a few friends that do birthday week) do little things for me throughout the week.  Sometimes it is the things like being able to sleep in without the noise of the kids in the house or not having to make dinner that I really want.  

How do you celebrate birthday week?  

No comments:

Post a Comment